The Work Injury Compensation Act?covers most?employees against accidents at work, with some?exceptions.
Who is covered
The Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA) covers any local or foreign employee who is under a contract of service or contract of apprenticeship, regardless of salary, age or nationality.
It doesn’t cover:
- Independent contractors and the self-employed.
- Domestic workers.
- Uniformed personnel – members of the Singapore Armed Forces, Singapore Police Force, Singapore Civil Defence Force, Central Narcotics Bureau and Singapore Prison Service.
Who can claim
You can claim for compensation if you have been injured or contracted a disease as a result of work.
You remain eligible to claim for compensation even if:
- You no longer work for the employer or your work pass is cancelled.
- The accident happened while you were on an overseas assignment.
- The accident happened while on a flexi-work arrangement that you agreed with your employer.
Dependents of an employee who died because of a workplace accident can also make a claim on behalf of the employee.